Description (Catalog Card): [A-C] Fragments of clay bowls. With rounded panels stamped with palm decorations. Greenish-drab clay, wheelmade.2     
Find Context (Catalog Card): nabonidus gate. From the destruction level.     
Material (Catalog Card): Clay3     
Measurement (Catalog Card): L. of rim 80mm     
U Number: 1002A1     
Object Type: Vessels/Containers >> Open Forms >> Bowls      
Season Number: 01: 1922-1923      
Description (Modern): Bowls fragments     
Material: Inorganic Remains >> Clay >> Fired >> Pottery/Ceramic      
[1] U number subdivided, based on Woolley's Subdivisions.
[2] Woolley's description
[3] Material as described by Woolley


Locations: 1002A Export: JSON - XML - CSV

Location Context Title Context Description Description (Modern)
Temenos Wall | TW The excavation area abbreviation TW stands for Temenos Wall, a wall that surrounded the ziggurat terrace and its extended sacred space in the northern central portion of the city of Ur through much of its history. The wall may have begun in the Early Dynastic period, as Woolley found some indication of what he believed to be its earliest foundation. There was clearly an Ur III period version that ran south of the giparu and then further southeast to encompass the ehursag. This was the general line of the wall through the Isin-Larsa/Old Babylonian and into the Kassite period, though the Kassites made some changes in the northern portion. Finally, the Neo-Babylonians changed the wall greatly, expanding the area encompassed to the north and south and adding several gateways. The foundations of this later, quite massive, wall often destroyed earlier remains. Woolley explored parts of the temenos wall in many seasons and frequently used the TW abbreviation for the wall in any of its building periods. Other excavation area abbreviations include parts of the temenos, particularly NCF, PDW and BC. The temenos wall built by Urnamma was 6 meters thick and built of mud brick with a baked brick facing. Most of the baked brick had been removed, probably for later building. The Nebuchadnezzar and Nabonidus temenos wall had chambers within it and sported six gates into the temenos area. This area was known as e-gish-nu-gal (Woolley read this e-gish-shir-gal). At least one later interpretation conflates TW with the phrase Town Wall, but the wall surrounding Ur was always referred to as the city wall, (CLW). (none)
  • 1 Location

Media: 1002A Export: JSON - XML - CSV

Media Media Title Title Label Author Omeka Label
Ur Excavations IX; The Neo-Babylonian and Persian Periods Ur Excavations IX; The Neo-Babylonian and Persian Periods 1962 Woolley, L. and Mallowan, Max (none)
Woolley's Catalog Cards Woolley's Catalog Cards Card -- BM ID:194 Box:24 Page:254 Card -- BM ID:194 Box:24 Page:254 (none)
  • 2 Media