Description (Catalog Card): Weight Hematite. Long ovoid, with small hole bored at 1 end. To be weighed. Type ?1     
Find Context (Catalog Card): BC Dungi Room 12     
Material (Catalog Card): Hematite3     
Measurement (Catalog Card): L. 0.058 [later addition in pen:] Weight 2.780 Ratio 1/3s unit 8.344     
U Number: 16429F     
Object Type: Weights and Measures >> Balance Pan Weights >> Ovoid Weights      
Season Number: 09: 1930-1931      
Museum: British Museum      
Description (Modern): Barrel weight of polished hematite.2     
Material: Inorganic Remains >> Stones and Minerals >> Mineral >> Semi-precious >> Hematite      
Museum Number (BM Big Number): 128456     
Museum Number (BM Registration Number): 1932,1008.51     
Measurement (Weight): 40.992     
Measurement (Length): 582     
Measurement (Width): 152     
Notes: British Museum accession number 128456 is an ovoid hematite weight of the correct length to be U.16429F, reported at 40.985 grams; the object was on loan to Manchester when weights were examined.     
[1] Woolley's description
[2] British Museum database
[3] Material as described by Woolley
[4] The later added note is almost certainly not concerning this artifact; hematite is dense and an ovoid of 58mm length would weigh more than 2.78 grams unless it was very thin.


Locations: 16429F | 1932,1008.51 Export: JSON - XML - CSV

Location Context Title Context Description Description (Modern)
Mausoleum Site | BC Woolley called the east corner of the Neo-Babylonian temenos the Bur-Sin Corner (area BC) because he found bricks of Bur-Sin (now read Amar-Sin or Amar-Suen) there in early season explorations. Area BC is particularly complex because it consists of substantial building in many periods. The largest building was of the Ur III period, and it is this building to which the abbreviation BC typically refers in field notes. It sits at the northeastern edge of the Royal Cemetery. The main Ur III building was 35 x 27m and its southwest wall was preserved two meters in height, while its northeast wall was largely destroyed. Its walls were built with inscribed bricks of Shulgi. The overall layout of the building is much like a courtyard house but on a large scale and with more ritual furnishings. Attached to this building were two annexes, one northwest and the other southeast, built with bricks of Shulgi's son, Amar-Sin (see context AD). Beneath the entire building were three very large vaults. All of them had been plundered in antiquity and only scattered fragments of artifacts and bones were discovered inside. Nonetheless, Woolley believed that these vaults originally held the remains of the Ur III kings. For this reason, area BC is sometimes referred to as the Mausoleum Site. The building was destroyed by Elamites, according to Woolley, and sometime thereafter houses of the Isin-Larsa/Old Babylonian period were constructed in the area (see House 30). Finally, the Neo-Babylonian Temenos wall was constructed over and through parts of the remains. (none)
Room 12 | Dungi Room 12 (none) (none)
  • 2 Locations

Media: 16429F | 1932,1008.51 Export: JSON - XML - CSV

Media Media Title Title Label Author Omeka Label
Woolley's Catalog Cards Woolley's Catalog Cards Card -- BM ID:194 Box:65 Page:176 Card -- BM ID:194 Box:65 Page:176 (none)
Woolley's Catalog Cards Woolley's Catalog Cards Card -- BM ID:194 Box:65 Page:177_V Card -- BM ID:194 Box:65 Page:177_V (none)
  • 2 Media