Description (Catalog Card): Cylinder seal. Black steatite. Not fully paved. Lion attacked by two men 2 lines of defaced inscription. About BC 2100. Required for Vol. VII written.1     
Find Context (Catalog Card): Found below surface of EH.     
Material (Catalog Card): Steatite2     
Measurement (Catalog Card): L. 18mm, D. 8mm     
U Number: 6160     
Object Type: Seals, Stamps, and Sealings >> Cylinder Seals      
Museum: University of Pennsylvania Museum      
Season Number: 04: 1925-1926      
Description (Modern): CBS Register: cylinder seal. soapstone. a lion attacked by two men. UE X: a nude hunter down on one knee fights a winged dragon rampant. Behind him two nude (?), men seem to be dancing on either side of some stand or jar planted in the ground. Black diorite cylinder not fully pierced.     
Material: Inorganic Remains >> Stones and Minerals >> Stone >> Metamorphic >> Greenstone >> Soapstone      
Museum Number (UPM B-number): B16286     
Museum Number (UPM B-number): B16286     
Measurement (Diameter): 14     
Measurement (Height): 1.83     
Measurement (Width): 83     
Measurement (X): 24     
[1] Woolley's description
[2] Material as described by Woolley
[3] Barrett. 1976. Near East Section, Ur, Inscribed Objects

Locations: 6160 Export: JSON - XML - CSV

Location Context Title Context Description Description (Modern)
EH Site | EH Area EH is located within the Neo-Babylonian temenos wall south of the giparu. There are many other area designations given to parts of this space (such as DP and LR), but EH overall refers to the interior extent of the SW temenos wall from the south corner almost to the Nebuchadnezzar gate and extending east to the line of Pit F. Walls in the area were scattered and difficult to follow, so Woolley established a grid covering at least 55x100 meters in 5x5 squares. The grid is not well documented but publication shows that Woolley began numbers to the east, increasing to the west, and letters to the south, increasing to the north; square 1,A therefore sits in the SE corner -- 11,T in the NW. The abbreviation EH stands for E-Hur-sag but the building of that name does not lie within this excavation zone. Woolley did not believe that the building to the east of this area (partially dug by H.R. Hall in 1919) was the e-hur-sag, the palace of Shulgi, despite bricks with the inscription of the building being found there. Instead he called that building Hall's Temple (HT) and sought the palace in many other places inside the temenos. He eventually conceded that HT was indeed the e-hur-sag and published EH without reference to the abbreviation's original meaning. The area Woolley called EH was the area Hall called the 'tomb mound' because it was relatively high ground in which he found a number of graves. Woolley showed that these were the remains of graves beneath the floors of houses dating from the Isin-Larsa to Kassite periods. EH in this time was likely an extension of the domestic area EM. In the Ur III period there appear to have been larger public buildings here, but their remains were spotty at best. Tablets from this area and area EM show that the residents of the domestic quarter in the Isin-Larsa/Old Babylonian period were likely temple workers. (none)
  • 1 Location

Media: 6160 Export: JSON - XML - CSV

Media Media Title Title Label Author Omeka Label
Ur Excavations VII; The Old Babylonian Period Ur Excavations VII; The Old Babylonian Period 1976 Woolley, L. and M. Mallowan (none)
Ur Excavations X; Seal Cylinders Ur Excavations X; Seal Cylinders 1951 Legrain, Leon, and Woolley, Leonard (none)
Woolley's Catalog Cards Woolley's Catalog Cards Card -- BM ID:194 Box:31 Page:159 Card -- BM ID:194 Box:31 Page:159 (none)
  • 3 Media